After successfully signing in, you will be directed to the OnSpend Dashboard. The Dashboard provides a number of charts and graphs that allow you to visualize your Google Cloud Platform and Google Maps Platform usage and costs.
By default, you will see the usage and costs of all billing resources (billing accounts, projects, or groups) that have been directly shared with you. Please refer to Resource Management for more details about custom grouping and resource organization.
- Navigation Menu - Navigate from one view to another. When you login you will be directed to the Dashboard view by default.
- Date Range Selector - Choose the timeframe for which you would like to view usage and cost. The default time frame is month to date. You may choose from one of 8 predefined date ranges or select your own custom start and end dates.
- Total Spend Summary - View the total cumulative cost during the date range selected. When viewing total spend relative to a budget, you will also see the percentage of spend relative to the budgeted amount. The spend summary also includes a cost trend indicator that displays how costs compare to the previous time period.
- Charts and Graphs - View your usage and costs plotted in a variety of charts and visualizations. By default, a cumulative spend line chart with total credits and costs will be displayed in the dashboard. You can create additional key performance indicator (KPI) visualizations to meet your specific reporting requirements. OnSpend provides 4 different KPI options and 5 chart types - line, area, bar, pie, and table.
- Cumulative Spend - View total aggregate cost by date, account, project, project label, product group, product/service, sku, location, resource label, or resource ancestry.
- Daily Spend - View total daily costs (day over day) by date, account, project, project label, product group, product/service, sku, location, resource label, or resource ancestry.
- Monthly Spend - View your total monthly spend by month, account, project, project label, product group, product/service, sku, location, resource label, or resource ancestry. By default, a minimum of 3 months are displayed. This will include results in all months spanning the date range selected.
- Top Spend - Identify top costs by account, project, project label, product group, product/service, sku, location, resource label, or resource ancestry. This KPI also includes the option to view top credits/discounts and credit details.
- Budget Summary - Manage and track your costs against a budget. Budgets that fall within the selected timeframe will be displayed. You can view expired budgets by changing the date range, or by checking the Expired Budgets checkbox. Selecting a budget updates the date range and regenerates all visualizations based on the budget time period. Please refer to Budget Management for more information about creating and managing budgets.
- Billing Resource Selector - Navigate to other billing resources to view usage and costs for a specific billing resource. Billing resources available for selection are those resources that are direct children of the currently viewed billing resource. In most cases, these will be projects that are linked to a billing account, but may contain other resources when using custom resource grouping.
- Custom Chart Creator - Customize your dashboard by adding new KPI charts. There is a six chart limit on the number of visualizations that can be added. This limit is in effect to help protect the system from receiving more data requests than it can handle, and to ensure a better user experience with reduced load times and to provide equitable distribution of system resources.
- Dashboard Action Bar - Search, mark as favorite, generate reports, share, or change settings on your dashboard.
- Search for other billing accounts, projects, or billing groups to visualize in the dashboard.
- Select your most frequently viewed billing resource as your favorite. When you favorite a resource, it will load by default when you visit the dashboard. This eliminates the need to navigate to your most frequently viewed resource every time you sign in. Only one resource can be selected as your favorite.
- Export billing data to BigQuery, CSV, or Google Sheets for further analysis of your billing data. Please refer to Reports and Data Exports for more information.
- Share a billing resource with others. If other users in your organization require access to the financial or usage data provided by OnSpend, simply share the resource with those users to give them access to OnSpend. You must have edit access to the billing resource in order to share it with others.
- View invoice details of the selected resource. Currently, only GCP billing account resources can be viewed in the invoice detail view.
- Change dashboard settings. Reordering of charts and switching between usage date and invoice date when visualizing your cloud spend are the available options. Usage Date returns actual usage and cost data incurred during the time frame selected. Invoice Date returns usage and charges on the invoice(s) issued for the time frame selected.
- Note: Invoice date is available back to May 2019.
Charts and Graphs
OnSpend takes away the complexity and pain associated with creating your own dashboard or developing your own queries. By default, OnSpend displays cumulative month to date spend. You can customize which charts and visualizations you see in your dashboard to provide you with the data and insights you value most. We've made it as simple as possible to get the insights you need, when you need them.
Data from each chart can be downloaded to either a CSV file or a Google Spreadsheet. To download chart data, click the blue download icon (), or the menu icon () and select Download. Select either CSV or Google Spreadsheet and click OK. If you selected CSV, a CSV file will instantly be downloaded to your computer. If you selected Google Spreadsheet, you will be prompted to grant OnSpend access to your Google Drive in order to create a Google Spreadsheet in your Drive with the chart data. Please refer to Reports and Data Exports for more information on generating custom reports from OnSpend.
Quickly and easily view your cumulative/aggregate spend over a specified time period. By default, a Cumulative Spend chart is provided as the first visualization in the dashboard, containing your usage costs, credits, and total net costs (usage costs minus credits) over any time period. If a budget is selected from the budget summary panel, the Forecast button is available to forecast your costs throughout the budget period. You can exit forecast mode, by clicking Reset. You can create additional Cumulative Spend charts for the following dimensions: Date, Account, Project, Product, Project Label, Product Group, SKU, Location, Resource Label, Resource Ancestry, and Margin. Cumulative spend can be visualized in the following chart types: Line, Area, Bar and Table.
View total day by day spend and identify daily spending trends. You can create Daily Spend charts for the following dimensions: Date, Account, Project, Project Label, Product, Product Group, SKU, Location, Resource Label, Resource Ancestry, and Margin. Daily spend can be visualized in the following chart types: Line, Area, Bar and Table.
View total month by month spend and identify monthly spending trends. By default, the Monthly Spend chart displays the current month and previous two months spend. By changing the dates on the dashboard, or by selecting a budget from the budget summary, you can view monthly spend trends over a larger period of time. You can create Monthly Spend charts for the following dimensions: Date, Account, Project, Product, Project Label, Product Group, SKU, Location, Resource Label, Resource Ancestry, and Margin. Monthly spend can be visualized in the following chart types: Line, Area, Bar and Table.
Note: When selecting the Bar chart type, values may be automatically converted to stacked bars for better visibility.
View your top total costs across various dimensions. You can create Top Spend charts for the following dimensions: Account, Project, Project Label, Product, Product Group, SKU, Location, Resource Label, Resource Group, and Resource Ancestry. Top spend can be visualized in the following chart types: Bar, Pie and Table. Top Spend charts can also be configured to list only a specified number of results, by supplying a limit value. Leave the limit field blank, or enter 0 to return all results.
Note: You can drill down to view specific cost details by selecting a value in a Top Spend chart. Performing a drill down can be done for selections representing accounts, projects, product groups, products, or skus.
Details of all credits that are applied to your billing resources can be viewed by creating a Top Spend chart with dimension Credits. Credits are discounts on your GCP usage and are automatically applied to your GCP projects and billing accounts as eligible credits are earned. Credits include any discounts applied to your overall spend and can include discounts such as sustained use and committed use.
With OnSpend charts, you can filter how you view your cloud costs. Cost filtering allows you to limit the scope of data you wish to view. Cost filters can also be applied to automated billing reports, custom data exports, and budgets. OnSpend allows you to apply cost filters by one or more of the following values:
- Billing Account
- Billing Project
- Project Label
- Product Group (GCP, Maps, Other)
- Resource Label
- Resource Ancestry
Note: Filtering by project label is not available on budgets.